Oversize/Overweight Permits

The Department of Transportation issues Oversize/Overweight permits. You can order online or order through a permitting service, who will charge an additional processing fee.

Call (803) 737-6769 for permit questions or see www.scdot.org/doing/permits_OSOW.aspx for more details.


For vehicles that are not registered under IRP or IFTA, additional permits may be necessary before entering another jurisdiction. Vehicles exceeding limitations on the size and weight are required to obtain a permit.


Temporary Permits

A Temporary Trip Permit is issued in lieu of IRP plates for travel within South Carolina. The fee for a Temporary South Carolina Trip Permit is $15 and is valid for 72 hours.